After a positive diagnosis, many of our patients with OSA choose to begin Positive Airway Pressure Therapy (PAP). As an alternative to going to the sleep lab, SAS provides home titrating devices (AutoPAP) that determine the correct pressure to maintain an open airway throughout the night.
During setup, a clinician will spend 60-90 minutes explaining PAP therapy, finding the right mask, and answering any questions about therapy. PAP therapy gently pushes air from the PAP unit through a mask over your nose (and sometimes mouth depending on the type of mask). The PAP must be worn every night in order to achieve maximum benefit. PAP therapy is the safest non-invasive and effective treatment for sleep apnea.
Through our follow up program, we have designed a comprehensive patient support system to ensure adherence to treatment which includes:
- Educational and equipment support
- Wireless Compliance Monitoring—SAS will download and monitor compliance, clinical efficacy, and positive health outcomes through a wireless monitoring system.
- New product notifications
- Supply replacement
What if PAP doesn’t work? In some instances, patients are not able to tolerate PAP therapy. SAS has resources available for other treatment options. Other options may include:
- an oral appliance; sometimes known as a Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD) positions the jaw to maximize airway space and limit apneas. SAS can provide referral to a dentist specializing in sleep medicine.
- ProVent; a new proprietary MicroValve design, powered by your own breathing, creates backpressure when you exhale to keep your airway open. The device is self-applied over your nostrils with a hypoallergenic adhesive. Provent Therapy is small and disposable, making it discreet and very convenient. If you are currently not treating your OSA and are looking for an alternative to PAP, Provent Therapy could be your ideal obstructive sleep apnea solution.
If left untreated, sleep apnea is known to cause several significant health issues. Treatment is essential for your health and well being.